To become the best institute offering quality education in the fields of English language and literature for students of English-language and English-language education programs so that they can take an optimal role and contribute extensively to the community, in accordance with their academic competence, in this competitive global era.
To produce graduates who are competent in applying their expertise for educational, industrial, and social needs with an emphasis on life-long learning, commitment to increasing social prosperity as demanded by community dynamics, and respect for fellow world citizens.
Standards of Competence
Competence is understood as a frame of skills and work abilities produced through the learning process which can produce a product and/or provide service in accordance with the quality standards of service consumers and/or interested parties. Graduates of the English Literature Department, Faculty of Cultural Sciences, Universitas Gadjah Mada, have skills and abilities as follows:
1. Knowledge and Understanding
• Understand the basic skills necessary for English-language and -literature studies.
• Understand the basics of language and literature research methods.
• Understand the basics of the humanities as a science.
2. Intellectual Abilities
• Identify and analyze issues related to the English language, find alternatives and resolutions, and conduct evaluations.
• Identify issues related to English literature, plan, monitor, and evaluate to resolve said issues, in accordance with their field of study.
3. Practical Skills
• Able to convey ideas in an oral or written manner using good and proper English.
• Able to conduct independent research on linguistic and literary phenomena as a cultural phenomenon.
• Have creative abilities in academic and artistic fields.
4. Managerial Abilities
• Able to work in groups of a variety of academic backgrounds.
• Able to organize research in the fields of language and literature within a fixed period of time.
5. Attitude and Acts
• Obey norms, morals, religions, and academic ethics.
• Honest, disciplined, critical thinking, self-confident, mature, tolerant, and having a high work ethic.
• Honor the values of UGM.
The English Literature Department has a student association known as IMAJI (Association of English Department Students) which serves as an umbrella organization for students’ interests and talents.
Alumni of the English Literature Department are united in IKAJUSI (the Union of English Department Alumni; Ikatan Alumni Mahasiswa Jurusan Sastra Inggris), which was established in May 2005.
Further information on the English Literature Department is available at http://english.fib.ugm.ac.id/home
English Literature Department,
Faculty of Cultural Sciences