To become the foremost educational and research facility in anthropology at the national and international levels, and produce professional and competitive graduates with a focus on cultural and social issues who are willing to promote efforts for the development of humanity and their nation.
1. To provide quality education regarding anthropology at the baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral level, while forever following the latest developments in the field of anthropology and in technology.
2. To conduct research on and provide service to society as an integral part of the education process and the development of the field of anthropology, ever adapting to the dynamics of society, culture, the economy, and technology.
3. Develop a network between academic and non-academic institutions within and without Indonesia as a strategy for further development of the department and the education process.
1. Agus Indiyanto, S.Sos. M.Si.
Speciality: Urban Anthropology
2. Atik Triratnawati, Dr. M.A.
Speciality: Medical Anthropology, Anthropology of Law
3. Bambang Hudayana, Dr. M.A.
Speciality: Local Politics, Economic Anthropology, Empowerment
4. G.R. Lono Lastoro Simatupang, Dr. M.A.
Speciality: Performance Studies, Child Education
5. Heddy Shri Ahimsa-Putra, Prof. Dr. M.A M.Phil.
Speciality: Epistemology, French Structuralism
6. Irwan Abdullah, Prof. Dr.
Speciality: Consumer Society, Interreligious Studies
7. Mubarika Dyah Fitri Nugraheni, S.Ant., M.A.
Speciality: Anthropology of Art
8.Muhammad Zamzam F., S.Ant., M.A.
Speciality: Visual and Media Anthropology
9.Pande Made Kurtanegara, Dr., M.Si.
Speciality: Tourism Studies, Social Safety Net
10. P.M. Laksono, Prof. Dr. , M.A.
Speciality: Media Studies, Interculturalism
11. Pujo Semedi Hargo Y., Dr. , M.A.
Speciality: Rural Studies, Oceania
12. Sita Hidayah, S.Ant., M.A.
Speciality: Anthropology of Religion
13. Setiadi, Dr. , S.Sos., M.Si.
Speciality: Population Studies, CSR, Anthropology of Management
14. Naniek Kasniyah, Dr. , M.A., M.Med. Sc.
Speciality: Medical Anthropology
15. Argo Tri Wikrama, M.A., Ph.D.
Speciality: Local Politics
16. Tuty Gandarsih, M.S.
17. Kodiran, Prof. Dr. M.A.
Speciality: Agriculture, Politics
18. Soehardi, Prof. Dr. M.A.
19. Sjafri Sairin, Prof. Dr. M.A.
Speciality: Social Anthropology
20. Suzie Handajani, Dr. M.A.
Speciality: Media and Mediation
21. Laksmi A. Savitri, Dr. M.A.
22. Realisa Darathea M, M.A.
Speciality: Migration, Refugees, Children’s Studies
23.Agung Wicaksono, M.A.
Speciality: Forestry, Agriculture
Facilities and Supporting Activities
The learning process at the Anthropology and Culture Department is facilitated by the Anthropology Department Library, which includes several computers and word-processing programs that students may use when completing academic assignments. Internet access is available through landlines and Wi-Fi, allowing students to access online collections and journals to which the Universitas Gadjah Mada Library is subscribed.
To facilitate the education process, students of the Anthropology and Culture Department have formed the Family of Anthropology Students (Keluarga Mahasiswa Antropologi, or KemAnt), which organizes numerous extra-curricular activities, including but not limited to field research, group discussions, studies of ethnographic films, and the publication of the bulletin Ranah.
The Anthropology and Culture Department has also developed the Anthropology Laboratories for Research and Action (Laboratorium Antropologi Untuk Riset dan Aksi, or LAURA). This unit is meant as a forum for lecturers, alumni, and students to meet for various academic activities (research, training, and empowerment). Through this unit, the Anthropology and Culture Department works to ensure that the learning process remains up-to-date with the latest developments in societal practices and needs.
“The Anthropology Department of UGM has become a window to the world for me; through its books, educators, and of course its research programs (domestic and international) I’ve become a mature anthropologist” – Benadeta Putri Anjar Prameswari, student of the UGM/Anthropology Freiburg University, Germany tandem program
Further information about the Department of Anthropology can be found at https://antropologi.fib.ugm.ac.id/