The Master’s Program in History is intended to increase students’ academic abilities and expertise in the research, writing, and teaching of history. Graduates are expected to:
1. Have a higher-level command of historical subject matters;
2. Have a higher-level command of the methods and theories of historical research and be capable of applying them in historical reconstruction;
3. Have a command of related fields which support the development of contemporary history studies and be capable of applying them in the analysis and synthesis of history;
4. Have the necessary skills and abilities to use archives in their original language in the context of critical historical research.
Duration and Study Load
The Postgraduate Program in History is programmed to last four semesters (two years), with a minimal study load of 44 credits (thesis inclusive). The maximum duration for studies is four years (eight semesters). Odd Semesters run from September to January, whereas Even Semesters run from February to June. While participating in classes and other academic activities (such as field work, seminars, research, etc.) students are guided by their thesis advisors. The History Department may require a pre-postgraduate program with special fees.
Tuition fees have been set at Rp. 4,500,000.00 (four million five hundred thousand) per semester, to be paid by the student or sponsoring institution. For foreign students, tuition fees have been set at US$1,000.00 per semester. Candidates meeting the criteria (civil servants only) may obtain a scholarship from the Ministry of Education’s BPPS program. Information about BPPS scholarship registration can be obtained from the candidate’s university of origin.
Facilities available at Universitas Gadjah Mada include: central, postgraduate, faculty, and department libraries with textbooks, CDs, online journals, magazines, newspapers, internet connections, Wi-Fi (free internet) areas; computer laboratories; Language Education Center (to be used by postgraduate students in improving their foreign-language skills); Dr. Sardjito (on-campus); banks (BNI, Mandiri, Niaga); campus post office; university publisher; transportation (buses, minicabs) connecting the UGM campus with the rest of Yogyakarta
The minimal study load for program completion is 44 credits, including a thesis. Students from other/non-history baccalaureate programs may, as decided by the entry exam team, be required to participate in a matriculation program (at their own cost) after being accepted in the master’s program but before classes commence.
Graduates of the Master’s Program in History receive the title Master of Arts (M.A.).
1. Prof. Dr. Djoko Suryo
2. Prof. Dr. Bambang Purwanto, M.A.
3. Prof. Dr. R.M. Soedarsono
4. Prof. Dr. Sjafri Sairin, M.A.
5. Prof. Dr. Suhartono
6. Prof. Dr. Irwan Abdullah
7. Prof. Dr. Mochtar Mas’oed
8. Prof. Dr. Sunyoto Usman
9. Prof. Dr. Djoko Soekiman
10. Prof. Dr. Heddy Shri Ahimsa-Putra, M.A., M.Phil.
11. Dr. Harlem Siahaan, S.U.
12. Dr. Pujo Semedi H.Y., M.A.
13. Dr. Sri Margana, M.Phil.
14. Dr. Nur Aini Setiawati, M. Hum.
15. Dr. Suharko, M.Si.
16. Dr. Budiawan, M.A.
17. Drs. Riza Noer Arfani, M.A.
18. Drs. Machmoed Effendhie, M.Hum.
19. Drs. Sudibyo, M.Hum.
Management of the Postgraduate Program in History
Faculty of Cultural Sciences, Universitas Gadjah Mada
Jl. Sosiohumaniora, Bulaksumur, Yogyakarta 55281